Saturday, October 10, 2009

When people are big and God is small


I was reading John 2 and at the end of that chapter I read a section of scripture, three verses long, entitled, ‘The discerner of hearts.’ These three verses tell of how many people believed in Christ during his first Passover in Jerusalem because of the great miracles that he did, but how Jesus put no weight in their belief/testimony of him because he knows what is in the heart of men. I couldn’t help but stop and think about how beneficial this example would be for all the pastors and ministers out their ‘serving’ God. As leaders we are very often put in the situation to choose between what is right, that which is commanded by God, and what is pleasing to others, namely, those we are leading. Unfortunately, all to often we make the wrong decision, myself included. And I also know that this is a sad day for a leader, when they look back at the decision just made and see that they have honored themselves above the Lord and his commands. Why did we do it? Because we sought the testimony of men, we wanted to be liked and spoken well of. In my circumstance this failing was in the place of church discipline. My elder board didn’t want to do anything; they didn’t think it was our business to interfere in someone else’s personal life. I took them to scripture to show them the evidence otherwise and the clear commands that we are to act, but they could not be convinced. In the end I did not answer the call of scripture and step out in faith and seek to rebuke this person and their actions. I went along with my elder board. The person in question went on to living in unrepentant sin and failure in the sight of God. Never again! Never again will I experience that sad day when I look back on my actions and see a focus on my own glory and not on God’s. It is not worth it. Let us all take after the example of Christ and put no weight on the testimony of men, because we know what is in their hearts, we have experienced it first hand because we ourselves have the same hearts they do. Let us seek strength through Christ in the Holy Spirit that our main focus in all of life would be to receive a great testimony from God, that in the end he would look on us and say, “Well done my good and faithful servant.” To God be the glory!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Home | About | Link | Link
Simple Proff Blogger Template Created By Herro | Inspiring By Busy Bee Woo Themes