Friday, October 9, 2009

"...but of God"


As I was reading in John, I read verses 1:12-13, which read,
12But as many as received him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in his name: 13who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.”
In reading this I can’t help but look towards the glory of God in predestination, in his election of the saints. I don’t know for sure that this is what this verse is referring to, but I know that this verse does lead me to think on this doctrine. As the passage says, they were born not “…of the will of man, but of God.” I can’t help but think that people, who feel that their salvation is their choice, and must be their choice, rob God of his glory in the salvation event. I think that the doctrine of free will is a doctrine that seeks to exalt man above his fallen state, and therefore gives man the glory and not God (Eph 2:8). I think that this doctrine is the attempt of our sinful and rebellious heart to retain some control or to have some semblance of power concerning our eternal destiny. I for one do not want the power to choose, as Paul says in Romans 6:21, concerning decisions made from our sinful nature, “What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death.” This powerful statement from Paul is very sobering and leads me to believe that without the Holy Spirit I could never make the right choice, but only choices that lead to death. But clearly, as we see in scripture, it is God’s chief end to bring himself glory and therefore we can rest assured that anything we do, even in the salvation event, is purposed to bring God glory. As scripture says in Romans 8:7, “Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.” We must remember that we are not able to see through our fallen nature to the glory that is the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, we must first be chosen by God and be set free, regenerated, given the gift of faith, and then we can receive His glory. We must let go of our desire to be in control and let God be glorified in his work in our hearts, in his gift of faith and in his gracious and merciful choosing of his elect. We must never forget that in our salvation we were born, 13not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.” May God receive the glory.
Father, I praise you for your gift of salvation through your Son, Jesus Christ. I ask that in all things that I do, that you receive the glory. Reprove my heart when I selfishly seek to glorify myself and redirect me back to you, help me to humbly submit to your control and complete dependence on you, that I might do all things for your glory and serve your purposes. Amen

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Home | About | Link | Link
Simple Proff Blogger Template Created By Herro | Inspiring By Busy Bee Woo Themes