Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Eyes To See And Ears To Hear


As I was reading proverbs today I read the portion in Chapter 24, verses 30-34. I couldn’t help but see the wisdom in Solomon’s actions. I know that seems obvious, he’s Solomon, of course he is wise, but I am not just talking about his teachings or his writings, I am talking about his actions in this passage, actions that brought forth wisdom and wise teaching. Read the following;

30 I went by the field of the lazy man,

And by the vineyard of the man devoid of understanding;

31 And there it was, all overgrown with thorns;

Its surface was covered with nettles;

Its stone wall was broken down.

32 When I saw it, I considered it well;

I looked on it and received instruction:

33 A little sleep, a little slumber,

A little folding of the hands to rest;

34 So shall your poverty come like a prowler,

And your need like an armed man.

Solomon found opportunities for growth and learning from everyday situations. While walking through the land he passed by a field that was overgrown and the proverb says that he “considered it well” and “looked on it and received instruction.” He didn’t need teachers and books, he wasn’t prone to wisdom because he was a king and had all the best teachers in the land. He stopped and pondered everyday situations seeking to learn from them and draw conclusions based off of what he saw. Imagine what we could learn, not only about the world, but also about God if we would stop and listen (see Romans 1:19-20). If we could stop, pay close attention and just think on the things of the Lord we too could be wise like Solomon. We have all the same opportunities as Solomon did and even more so, because we have access to the Father directly, through the power of Christ and the gospel. This is what I want to start doing, to just stop and think about God and his glory and apply the gospel to everyday situations, that I might receive some wisdom in life that can better prepare me to glorify God.

Father I praise you for your ultimate wisdom and I thank you that you pass it on to us so freely. Help me to begin to stop and think on you and your glory and help me to begin to apply the gospel to everyday situations so I can see you at work in the world more fully, and also so that I can bring you greater glory. Give me eyes to see and ears to hear as I live in the world around me. In Jesus mighty name, amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Home | About | Link | Link
Simple Proff Blogger Template Created By Herro | Inspiring By Busy Bee Woo Themes